Smothered in a rich tomato cream sauce, keto salmon burgers cook perfectly every single time. The flavors dance on your tastebuds!
What Is Tomato Cream Sauce
This recipe is two parts. One part is for the savory salmon burgers and the other is for the tomato cream sauce. You can use this sauce on other things too!
It works perfectly as a sauce for pork chops, chicken, and even on top of low-carb pasta. And the best part is that there are just 3 grams net carbs in each serving of salmon patty and sauce.
So, what’s in tomato cream sauce?
It’s a really easy combination of heavy whipping cream, tomato paste, Roma tomatoes, and feta cheese. It ends up tasting like a slightly sweet and creamy marinara sauce.
Keep reading and I’ll share different ways you can flavor the sauce and how to use this delicious meal in your weekly meal prep.
Before you make salmon burgers with tomato cream sauce, this is what you’ll need from the store. All of the exact ingredient amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Salmon, canned
- Crushed pork rind crumbs
- Onion chopped finely
- Italian seasoning
- Minced garlic
- Chopped parsley
- Olive oil
- Heavy whipping cream
- Tomato paste
- Roma tomatoes chopped
- Feta cheese crumble
- Salt and pepper to taste
If you make any changes to this recipe, let me know in the comments. Here are some of the easiest ingredient swaps (or additions) you can make.
- Italian Seasoning: Flavor the salmon burgers with your favorite spices. Parsley, oregano, basil, and thyme are popular herbs that taste delicious on salmon.
- Tomatoes: Roma tomatoes have the perfect amount of juice, but you can use cherry tomatoes too.
- Feta Cheese: You can substitute this with goat cheese crumbles or bleu cheese crumbles.
- Add some spice: Make the tomato cream sauce a little spicier with some red pepper flakes sprinkled in.
Best Salmon For Burgers
The easiest way to make salmon patties or salmon burgers is to use canned salmon. It’s the perfect texture! Just remember to drain it really well so that your burgers aren’t accidentally too soggy.
If you want to use fresh salmon, make sure it’s fully cooked and cooled to room temperature.
This salmon burger skillet is one of the best ways to enjoy high-protein and high-fat salmon. It’s such a filling and hearty meal that you won’t want to add very many sides to the table with it.
Cauliflower rice will taste delicious with the tomato cream sauce on top! Or go a little fancy and make some keto loaded cauliflower rice balls on the side.
The Italian flavors in the tomato cream sauce will taste the best with a bowl of copycat Olive Garden chopped salad. It’s light and fresh!
And you can never go wrong with a serving of Gluten-free keto breadsticks. I love dipping them into the tomato cream sauce.
One of the best things about this salmon recipe is that you can make it ahead and use it in your weekly meal prep or freeze it for later. Here’s how!
How To Meal Prep
To meal prep with salmon burgers in tomato cream sauce, follow the directions in the recipe card and then let it cool to room temperature. Store it in an airtight food storage container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
How To Freeze
The salmon burgers freeze really well! Store them in a freezer-safe bag or container. They will stay fresh in the freezer for up to six months.
I do not recommend freezing them in the tomato cream sauce. It’s better if you make the tomato sauce fresh.
Here’s the list of ingredients and some step-by-step pictures that you’ll need to make this filling and delicious keto skillet salmon burgers recipe. The exact measurements and instructions are located in the printable recipe card just a little bit further below.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Net Carbs: 3 net carbs per serving
Drain the salmon and place it into a mixing bowl with the pork rind crumbs, eggs, onion, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Knead with your hands until well combined.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat, and form the mixture into 8 evenly sized patties. Place the patties into the heated oil, and saute until browned and cooked through on both sides. Remove and set aside.
Melt the butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Stir in the tomato paste and roma tomatoes. Whisk in the heavy whipping cream until well combined. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, and then add salt and pepper to taste.
Return the salmon burgers to the skillet, and toss to coat in the sauce. Sprinkle with the feta cheese and serve.
Pin for later!
Follow me on Pinterest!
Keto Salmon Burger Skillet with Tomato Cream Sauce
- 2 cans Salmon 15 ounces each, drained
- 1 1/2 cups Crushed Pork Rind Crumbs
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/3 cup Onion chopped finely
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Chopped Parsley
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
Tomato Cream Sauce
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Roma Tomatoes chopped
- 1/3 cup Feta Cheese crumbles
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Drain the salmon and place it into a mixing bowl with the pork rind crumbs, eggs, onion, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Knead with your hands until well combined.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat, and form the mixture into 8 evenly sized patties.
- Place the patties into the heated oil, and saute until browned and cooked through on both sides.
- Remove and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the same skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the tomato paste and roma tomatoes.
- Whisk in the heavy whipping cream until well combined.
- Simmer until the sauce has thickened, and then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the salmon burgers to the skillet, and toss to coat in the sauce.
- Sprinkle with the feta cheese and serve.
Keto Salmon Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe for salmon burgers in tomato cream sauce, here are some more delicious and low-carb recipes you can make with salmon.