Fiery flavors combine to create an irresistible dinner! Keto Cajun cabbage skillet is filled with sausage and shrimp, with bold flavors.
What Is Cajun Cabbage
Cajun food is known for being spicy and full of robust flavors! It hails from down south in Louisiana, but especially New Orleans.
If you’re as busy as I am, you’ll appreciate this recipe! It tastes like an authentic Cajun recipe, but there are only eight simple ingredients.
This dish is easy to really spice up or make as mild as you or your family wants. The fresh red bell pepper and onion give it color and tons of flavor.
Here is what you’ll need from the store before you make the keto cabbage skillet. All the exact amounts are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Olive Oil
- Smoked Sausage
- Red Bell Pepper
- Cajun Seasoning
There are a lot of ways you can change this Cajun cabbage and sausage recipe! Here are a few of my favorite ingredient swaps.
- Olive Oil: Use avocado oil or coconut oil.
- Shrimp: Leave them out, or add mushrooms instead.
- Red Bell Pepper: Any color of pepper will work.
Best Sausage To Use With Cabbage
Any type of smoked sausage will taste incredible with the cabbage. If you like spicy foods, use a spicier smoked sausage.
My family and I prefer milder foods, so I always use kielbasa sausage.
Since this skillet recipe has such bold flavors, I suggest pairing it with milder sides. If you’ve ever wondered, “what to eat with shrimp,” let me suggest Keto Everything Bagel Bites or some cauliflower rice. The bagel bites go with almost anything you make!
For something a bit more robust, make a dish of Creamy Low-Carb Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole. It is spicy, just like the cabbage skillet.
Or keep the side dish mild and make some Keto Sweet Potato Casserole. This is a good thing to make if your cabbage skillet is really spicy.
This is a wonderful dish to make ahead and store for later. Here are the best ways to store it.
How To Meal Prep
Store your cooked Cajun cabbage skillet in an airtight food storage container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to three days.
How To Freeze
This meal freezes really well, too. Just place it in a freezer-safe bag or container. Keep it frozen for up to six months.
Here’s the list of ingredients that you’ll need to make this spicy keto Cajun cabbage with sausage and shrimp recipe. The exact measurements and instructions are located in the printable recipe card just a little bit further below.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30minutes
Net Carbs: 5 net carbs per serving
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the shrimp to the heated skillet, and season with 2 tsp of the cajun seasoning. Saute until cooked through. Remove and set aside.
Stir the sausage into the skillet, and saute until browned. Remove and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium, and add the onions and red bell pepper to the skillet. Saute until softened.
Mix in the minced garlic, and saute another 30 seconds.
Pour the cabbage into the skillet, and sprinkle with the cajun seasoning. Stir to
Cover, and simmer until the cabbage is tender. Stir in the shrimp and sausage and serve.
Pin for later!
Follow me on Pinterest!
Keto Cajun Cabbage Skillet with Shrimp and Sausage
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 pound Shrimp Peeled and deveined with tails off
- 14 ounces Natural Smoked Sausage Sliced
- 1/3 Onion Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped into large pieces
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 4 cups Chopped Cabbage
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the shrimp to the heated skillet, and season with 2 tsp of the cajun seasoning. Saute until cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- Stir the sausage into the skillet, and saute until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add the onions and red bell pepper to the skillet. Saute until softened.
- Mix in the minced garlic, and saute another 30 seconds.
- Pour the cabbage into the skillet, and sprinkle with the cajun seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Cover, and simmer until the cabbage is tender.
- Stir in the shrimp and sausage and serve.
Keto Skillet Recipes
If you enjoyed making this spicy keto Cajun cabbage with sausage and shrimp, here are some more easy recipes you can make in a skillet. They are all super easy and incredibly tasty!